Boyprox or Boy-Proximal ( also known as Man-Proximal or Mprox) is a term with many possible meanings but in general is a term for anyone who experiences a connection to boyhood or manhood, regardless of their actual gender). This includes:
- Binary males (this includes both cis and trans males). This group experiences boyness because they are binary men. They will usually also experience "boyhood".
- Individuals who are not necessarily 100% male. For example: demiboys; genderfluid individuals who are sometimes, but not always male; non-binary individuals who identify with masculinity but do identify as "men" necessarily; or bxys who are in some way connected to being both a boy and agender/greygender. This group experiences a connection to boyhood, but not completely to maleness, because they are not solely, completely and always men.
"Boyhood" is a large concept that is hard to define, but it is typically an experience that comes from being seen as male by society. Some examples of boyhood include, but are not limited to:
- A connection to masculinity.
- A connection to men, regardless of actual gender identity.
- A sense of belonging in men’s spaces.
- A masculine gender presentation.
- Being assigned male at birth and holding that significant to one’s identity.
- Holding male-assigned experiences significant to one and one's life (ex: boy scouts, attending an all-boys school).
- Identifying, at least partially or sometimes, as a male. This is not required for boyhood, but often accompanies it.
Boyprox was first officially defined by Tumblr user pride-color-schemes, on the 31st May, 2017, as a counterpart to girlprox (a term coined by Tumblr user ymirjotunn in or before 2015). Pride-color-schemes's definition of boyprox is an altered version of ymirjotunn's definition of girlprox, and ymirjotunnis is credited by pride-color-schemes as the coiner of the term.
The boyprox flag was created by Heiressjane and Honorary Mod Loki, from the Tumblr account pride-color-schemes, 31st May, 2017. It has no confirmed meaning.