Girlprox or Girl-Proximal (also known as Woman-Proximal or Wprox) is a term with many possible meanings but is generally a term for any individual who experiences a connection to girlhood or womanhood, regardless of their actual gender. This includes:
- Binary girls/women (this includes both binary cis and trans girls). This group experiences girlness because they are girls. They will usually also experience "girlhood."
- Individuals who are not necessarily 100% female. For example, demigirls; genderfluid individuals as they might not always be female; non-binary individuals who identify with femininity but do not identify as a "woman/girl" but may have a connection to womanhood/girlhood in some form; or gxrls who are in some way connected to being both a girl and agender/greygender. This group experiences a connection to girlhood, but not completely to femaleness, because they are not 100% girls.
"Girlhood" is a large concept that is hard to define, but it is typically an experience that comes from being seen as female by society. Some examples of girlhood include, but are not limited to:
- A connection to femininity.
- A connection to women/girls, despite actual gender identity.
- A sense of belonging in women’s spaces.
- A feminine or femme gender presentation.
- Experience with misogyny.
- Being assigned female at birth and holding that significant to one’s identity.
- Holding female-assigned experiences significant to one and one's life (eg. girl scouts, attending an all-girl school).
- Identifying partially, sometimes, or always as a girl/woman (this is not required for girlhood, but often accompanies it).
Girlprox individuals must identify with some or all of these things. Girlprox is an umbrella terms of genders, but it can also be used a specific gender if desired. For example, if someone cannot narrow down their gender any further they may identify as girlprox.
Girlrprox was created by the Tumblr user ymirjotunn. They explained the term in a post on July 16, 2015, though the term existed before then. The term was created because they believed that there was a space and a community for associating with girlhood outside of women’s spaces that belong to women.
The girlprox flag was created by Heiressjane, from the Tumblr account pride-color-schemes, on May 31, 2017.