Distaregender is when one feels like their gender is distant, far away, hidden, buried, or generally disconnected from oneself in a way that one can't properly feel or appreciate it.
One may or may not vaguely feel their gender, or feel an unexplainable connection to a gender, but they can't feel any details or characteristics of it.
Some distaregender experiences may include:
- Feeling like one's gender is out of reach.
- Feeling like the gender is in the dark.
- Feeling a disconnection from one's gender.
- Knowing that one is feeling a gender, but being unsure of what the gender is like.
- Feeling like one's gender is hard to see.
- Feeling like there's a barrier between one and their gender.
- Feeling like one can't see or feel their gender's details.
- Feeling like one's gender is hiding from them.
- Feeling like one's gender is buried deep inside themself or their identity.
- Feeling like one's gender is obscured.
One may identify solely as distaregender, or combine it with other terms (like distaregirl)
Distaregender was coined on June 19, 2022 by Reddit user -Solidwater
The distaregender flag consists of four horizontal stripes. They're black, blue, gray and muted yellow. The meaning is as follows:
Black represents darkness. Blue represents distance and mystery. Gray represents a 'foggy' feeling and disconnection. Muted yellow represents feelings of a gender being hidden, out of reach, etc.