Solarian is a gender alignment from the galactian system. In many cultures around the world, the sun is personified as a man, or is associated with masculine energy, so solarian is useful for non-binary individuals who are male-aligned (helian) and/or masculine-aligned (phoebian). A solarian is someone who has similarities in identity or experience with men/boys. Possible examples of solarian experiences include:
- Someone who is partially male.
- Someone who has some sort of connection to boyhood/manhood, regardless of actual gender.
- Someone who has a gender similar to, but not the same as male.
- Someone who is mingender/connected to masculinity regardless of actual gender.
- A non-binary individual who presents masculinely (regardless of their actual gender).
- Someone connected to boyhood/manhood through their experience with society. They may be treated as and/or have experiences similar to that of a man/boy.
The term is meant to be a less easily abused form of "male aligned". Since there is no consistent definition of gender alignment, there is no consistent definition of solarian. Some non-binary individuals fit some of these experiences but they do not need to identify as solarian.
- Helian: A subset of solarian that describes a non-binary individual that who is male-aligned, but not necessarily masculine-aligned.
- Phoebian: A subset of solarian that describes a non-binary individual that who is masculine-aligned, but not necessarily male-aligned.
The solarian flag was created by Tumblr user temp-nb-blog, 1st December 2016. The orange stripes of the flag represent the varying levels in which individuals can experience being solarian. The yellow stripe represent the non-binary nature of this gender. Black represents those with no gender. Grey represents the varying levels in which individuals can experience gender.
The second alternate solarian flag was designed by now deactivated Tumblr user yourfavgoestoactualpride sometime before December 21, 2016.