Romance Stances are an aspect of sexuality describing an individual’s feelings towards romantic interaction. This can include feelings towards romance, towards other romantic activities, or towards romantic interaction as a concept. These terms are commonly used by aromantic spectrum individuals, but are not exclusive to this community or romantic orientation.
Commonly used romantic stances include the following:
- Romance-Favorable - One feels favorable towards or enjoys romantic interaction.
- Romance-Indifferent - One has no strong feelings regarding romantic interaction.
- Romance-Repulsed - One feels repulsed by romantic interaction.
- Romance-Averse - One feels repulsed by the idea of personally engaging in romantic interaction.
- Romance-Ambivalent - One has mixed or complicated feelings regarding romantic interaction.
- Romance-Oscillating - One’s feelings towards romantic interaction change or fluctuate over time.
- Romance-Drained - One feels repulsed by romantic interaction due to trauma or exhaustion.
- Romance Abstainer - Romantic abstention means abstaining from romantic love, for any reason.
The sexual interaction equivalent is sex stances. The platonic interaction equivalent is friendship stances. The sensual interaction equivalent is touch stances.
This concept has existed within the aromantic community with no clear first coining for many years. The term was recoined for the purpose of providing a concrete source by AnonymousHermitCrab on the subreddit r/asexuality on April 27th, 2022.