Pronoun Non-Conforming (PNC), also known as Pronoun Variant, is a form of gender non-conformity in which one uses pronouns in a non-standard way. This includes:
- Anyone who uses neopronouns, including nounself pronouns.
- Anyone who uses emojiself pronouns.
- Binary individuals who use an atypical pronoun set for their gender (crosspronoun)- men using any pronouns other than he/him and women using any pronouns other than she/her.
- Non-binary individuals who use he/him and/or she/her pronouns.
- Anyone who uses it/its pronouns.
- Individuals using binary pronouns because no other pronouns are available in their language.
- Anyone who uses multiple pronoun sets (multipronominal) or alternating between pronouns (alterpronominal)
- Individuals who use variant sets of pronouns (varipronouns), such as she/zer/xyrself, he/hir/zimself.
- individuals who are indifferent about their pronouns (apapronominal).
- Individuals using no pronouns at all (nullpronominal).
Pronoun non-conformity can be used as a political statement or just as a descriptor for those wanting to highlight their non-conformity. Some examples of those who are pronoun non-conforming include she/her gays and he/him lesbians. individuals of any gender and any sexuality can be pronoun non-conforming.
The term pronoun non-conformity was coined by Tumblr user Oltiel on August 24, 2018.
The pronoun non-conforming flag was created by Tumblr user Arco-Pluris via Beyond-MOGAI-Pride-Flags on November 9, 2018. The flag is based off of the gender non-conforming flag.
The second two alternate pronoun non-conforming flags were created Weniviere on November 18, 2020, and April 27, 2021. It was based off of the original flag. Dark blue stands for masculinity and static genders, light blue stands for kingenders and demigenders, white stands for multigenders and coric-genders, light pink stands for xenogenders and aesthetigenders, dark pink stands for femininity and fluid genders, purple stands for androgyny and genderlessness, light brown stands for unique genders (such as maverique) and neutrality, and dark brown stands for gender non-conforming/defying gender roles.