Name Non-Conforming is a form of gender non-conformity in which one has a non-normative name for their gender. This includes:
- Individuals whose names do not traditionally align with their gender (crossnominal).
- Individals who haven't decided on a new name.
- Trans individuals who choose to go by their birth name.
- Individuals whose names are not typically used as names.
- People whose names are not derivative of anything and have not been used by a significant amount of individuals.
- Individuals who do not go by any name (nameless).
- Individuals who go by multiple names (multinominal).
- Individuals whose name changes (nomifluid).
- Individuals whose name mainly changes under specific circumstances (mutonominal).
Even if somebody does fall under one or more of these categories, they are not forced to use this term if they aren't comfortable with it.
The term name non-conformity was coined by Discord user jawsome274 on February 1 2021, on the LGBTA Wiki Discord server. It was later posted to Tumblr on the same day. The flag was also created by Discord user jawsome274 on the same day. The blue on the flag represents masculine gender identities and names, the pink represents feminine gender identities and names, the red represents androgynous gender identities and names, the yellow represents completely unrelated gender identities and names with no connection to typical human names, and the black represents neutral or genderless gender identities and names derivative of nothing.