Mutosexuality is a fluid sexuality in which one's attraction changes from day to day. If one is mutosexual, one may like women one day, men the next, and non-binary people another day.
Another definition of mutosexuality is a fluid sexuality in which one's attraction changes depending on the conditions or circumstances. For example, the following things may change one's attraction:
- The individuals one is around (see expecsexual)
- The gender one currently identifies with (see novosexual, omnique, and omnistraight)
- The surroundings or area one finds themself in
- The weather or temperature
- The presence or consumption of specific foods or beverages; food and drink themed sexuality triggers (see coffeesexual, hocosexual, leasexual, and smoosexual)
- The individual's current mental state (see affectusexual)
This is sometimes considered the sexual orientation equivalent of mutogender. This is also known as mutoic.
Similar terms include abrosexual and sanssexual.
The term was coined on October 25, 2020 by The Ragamuffins System, at the time going by Gay Rats.
The term “mutosexual” comes from the Latin word muto, which means “change”.
The flag was designed by the coiner of the term, The Ragamuffins System. The orange represents change and fluidity, the white represents nonbinary genders, the pink represents feminine people, the blue represents masculine people, the black represents asexual or aromantic people who also identify as either mutosexual or mutoromantic, and the purple represents all genders and queerness. The Greek letter xi looks like liquid, so was chosen as the letter to represent mutosexuality.