Ideobinary is a term from the alibinary system used to categorize the experiences of some non-binary individuals. It refers to people with identities that rely on masculinity and/or femininity or other “projections” of binary ideas, without being necessarily close to binary genders. Their experience relies on binary-related concepts, but they do not have an experience that is similar of that of a binary gender. Possible examples of ideobinary individuals may include:
- Juxera or proxvir individuals.
- Xirls or xoys.
- Demigirls or demiboys.
- Lunarians or solarians.
- Bxys or gxrls.
- Any other non-binary people who feel connected to masculinity and/or femininity without having any connection to maleness or femaleness.
That said, just because one identifies as one of these genders, that doesn't mean they are ideobinary. There is some overlap between ideobinary and viabinary. It is not based on what gender identity someone is, rather it's based on what experiences one one is affected by and how one personally defines their gender. An individual may relate to both ideobinary and viabinary, or to one of those, or neither of them. It may vary from individual to individual.
Ideobinary was coined by June 25, 2018 by Tumblr user Nbandproud. The term was originally coined in order to talk about issues faced specifically by ideobinary individuals. Ideobinary issues include:
- Individuals pushing the idea that something that an identity related to masculinity, femininity or that otherwise implies a connection to binary genders are similar or the same as a binary gender.
- A divide that often occurs when talking about different kinds of non-binary individuals that only takes into account “individuals with genders that are similar to binary genders” and “individuals with genders that are equally both binary genders or not binary at all”.
- A presentation issue: how to express you are not a woman at all, while having a feminine gender? Or not a man at all, but having a masculine gender? Or being something totally different from a woman, while not being a boy? Being “neutral” or “completely out there” may not be comfortable options if those don’t express the actual gender identity.
Ideobinary vs. Viabinary
Ideobinary may easily be confused with another alibinary identity, viabinary. While they both describe genders that are in some way aligned with or derived from binary genders and concepts, ideobinary individuals experience them in a way completely detatched from their binary roots while viabinary is a descriptor for individuals who experience those genders in a way similar to their binary roots. Ideobinary individuals feel that, despite being related to the binary, their gender experiences are very different and not relatable to binary gender experiences, while viabinary individuals feel that their gender experience, while not being binary, is similar and relatable to binary gender experiences. The two terms are essentially the same but opposites at the same time.
The flag was designed by the-gender-collector-emself on Tumblr. The color meanings are currently unknown.