Chibados is a third gender for AMAB individuals who present and behave in a feminine mannerism within Ndongo Africa. This can be compared to transgender women, lunarians, or other similar terms, however it may also be considered separate from these terms, as it is a cultural gender that is unique to experience.
Chibados were involved as "spiritual arbiters in political and military decisions" and also performed burials. Olfert Dapper described the chibados as shamans "who walk dressed like women." Portuguese priests and Jesuits described how chibados lived as women and were able to marry other men with no social sanctions. Instead, "such marriages were honored and even prized." Chibados made up a separate caste and elders referred to themselves as "Grandmother."
Chibados were found among the cultures of the Ndongo and other parts of what is today Angola. They were first described in the west by the Portuguese. Queen Nzinga of Ndongo and Matamba had over fifty chibados in her court. These said individuals were said to live with by Nzinga as concubines.
As the Portuguese gained more control in Africa, colonial laws introduced and increased homophobia and transphobia.
- [https://web.archive.org/web/https://books.google.com/books?id=MI_5AKSzYwUC&q=chibados&pg=PA56#v=onepage&q=chibados&f=false Google Books: Recreating Africa: Culture, Kinship, and Religion in the African-Portuguese World, 1441-1770 - James H. Sweet ]
- [https://web.archive.org/web/https://books.google.com/books?id=iZ5RAAAAQBAJ&q=chibados&pg=PA230#v=snippet&q=chibados&f=false Google Books: Tritiya-Prakriti: People of the Third Sex: Understanding Homosexuality, Transgender Identities, and Intersex Conditions Through Hinduism - Amara Das Wilhelm ]
- [https://web.archive.org/web/http://adventuresintimeandgender.org/wormholes/world-genders/ Adventures In Time & Gender: Genders of the World ]
- [https://web.archive.org/web/https://books.google.com/books?id=9-Q8DAAAQBAJ&q=chibados&pg=PA33#v=onepage&q=chibados&f=false Google Books: The Geography of Perversion: Male-to-Male Sexual Behavior Outside the West and the Ethnographic Imagination, 1750-1918 - Rudi C Bleys ]
- [https://web.archive.org/web/https://nehandaradio.com/2010/03/28/african-myths-about-homosexuality/ Nehanda Radio: African myths about homosexuality ]
- Chibados Flag File
- [https://web.archive.org/web/https://lgbta.wikia.org/wiki/Chibados?type=revision&diff=75340&oldid=46086 Chibados Wikia Page History: February 13, 2021 - April 23, 2021 ]